Why Does My Vape Taste Burnt?
Vaping should always taste great – so it’s a serious downer when your vape tastes burnt. It’s an especially bad situation if you’re new to vaping and aren’t sure what the experience should be like. After all, smoking is likely to irritate your throat. Maybe vaping should burn your throat too?
We have some good news for you: your vape definitely shouldn’t taste burnt. Flavor, in fact, is one of the biggest factors that make vaping so much better than smoking. Do you remember what it was like when you smoked a cigarette for the first time? You probably coughed violently and hated the flavor. You liked the nicotine, though, so you kept smoking and simply tolerated the harshness.
Vaping shouldn’t be anything like that. From your very first puff, vaping should be smooth, enjoyable and satisfying. Vaping should never burn your throat. If that isn’t the experience you’re having, something is wrong – and this article is going to help.
So, why does your vape taste burnt? Let’s dig in.
Why Does My Vape Taste Burnt?
If your vape tastes burnt, it’s a problem that you may experience in a few different ways. For instance, you may find that the flavor of your e-liquid seems normal, but inhaling the vapor causes a burning or tightening sensation in your throat. You may notice a “burnt sugar” flavor that starts out mild and slowly builds as you continue to vape.
In other cases, you may notice that the burnt flavor appears with seemingly no warning – perhaps even with a new coil or pod. When that happens, you’ll probably find the flavor particularly foul. In some cases, using a burnt coil may taste like inhaling the fumes of burning cotton – because that’s exactly what you’re doing.
Let’s learn more.
Why Does My Vape Burn My Throat?
If your vape burns your throat, you may experience it as a sensation of harshness on the inhale. You may also experience a feeling of tightness in the throat when vaping. Here are the three most common reasons why vaping might burn your throat.
- Your nicotine strength is too high. The more powerful your vaping device is, the lower the strength of your e-liquid should be. If your e-liquid has significantly more nicotine than you require, you’ll find vaping very unpleasant.
- Your device’s wattage setting is too high. If you’re using a vaping device with adjustable power, start at a lower power level and increase the wattage slowly until you’re happy with the flavor and intensity of the vapor.
- It’s time to replace your coil. If you’ve been using your coil for a while, its heating surface may be covered with a dark residue called coil gunk. If you continue to use a gunky coil, you’re likely to find vaping very unpleasant and may experience a burning sensation in your throat.
Why Does My Vape Taste Burnt with a New Coil?
If you’ve been vaping for a while, you know that it’s completely normal for a coil to burn out after several days of use. If your vape tastes burnt with a new coil, though, that’s not normal and is definitely an indication of a problem you can fix. Here are the reasons why your new coil tastes burnt.
- You’re not priming your new coils before installing them. Every time you replace your coil, you should put a bit of e-liquid on the new coil’s wick openings before installing the coil in your tank or pod. After filling the tank or pod, wait a few minutes before vaping. After priming the coil and giving it a few minutes to rest, the wick should be completely wet when you begin vaping.
- You’ve set your device’s wattage too high. Every vape coil has a recommended power range, and you’ll see it on the coil’s packaging and etched into the side of the coil. Try setting your device to the low end of the suggested range and ramping the power up slowly. If you set your device to a power level higher than what’s recommended, you may burn the wick.
- You’ve forgotten to keep your tank or pod full. If the tank or pod is nearly out of e-liquid, the wick won’t work efficiently and could burn as a result.
One important thing to note is that, if a new coil tastes burnt, it’s most likely because the coil’s cotton wick is damaged. By following the advice above, you can avoid burning your coil’s wick – but if the wick is already burnt, there’s no fix for that. You’ll need to replace the coil.
Why Does My Vape Taste Burnt After Using It a While?
Earlier in this article, we mentioned coil gunk. Coil gunk is residue caused by the ingredients in your e-liquid that stick to the coil instead of vaporizing fully. All e-liquid ingredients cause coil gunk eventually, but sucralose – the popular sugar-free sweetener – is the ingredient most responsible for shortening a coil’s life. If you use unsweetened e-liquid, your coils will last much longer before they burn out.
The other reason why you might experience a burnt taste after using a coil for a while is because you’re vaping too aggressively – either setting your device’s wattage too high or vaping constantly without ever giving your device a chance to cool down. If you’re vaping so aggressively that your coil’s wick is constantly drying out, you’ll burn the wick eventually.
How to Fix a Burnt Coil or Pod
From reading this article, you should have a much better understanding of why your vape tastes burnt and what you can do to extend the life of your coils in the future. What about the coils that are already burned out, though? Is there anything that you can do to fix a burnt coil or pod?
If your problem is coil gunk, you can absolutely fix your coils. Although there’s no fix for burnt cotton, that isn’t usually the reason why vape coils burn out. Usually, coils burn out because of sucralose – and if you love sweet flavors, you may have no interest in switching to unsweetened e-liquid.
That’s exactly why the ROBO2020 automatic vape coil cleaner exists. Our coil cleaner requires nothing but water, and it can fix your burnt coils by dissolving coil gunk and restoring your coil’s original metal surface. With ROBO2020, you can reuse the same coils over and over again. After you’ve cleaned a few batches of coils, our coil cleaner pays for itself.
Buy ROBO2020 now and say goodbye to that dreaded “burnt vape” flavor forever.